Method1. Firstly, soak the rice in cold water for about 30 minutes, before rinsing and draining.
2. Meanwhile, gently fry the onion and garlic in the oil until soft. Add the chicken, curry powder, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon and bay leaf and continue frying for a couple more minutes.
3. Add the Opies Sliced Lemons, Opies Stem Ginger and finally the drained rice, then continue frying for a couple more minutes over a low heat.
4. Next add the chopped tomatoes and hot chicken stock. Bring to a rolling boil, pop a lid on and cook for another 5 minutes. Turn the heat off, do not remove the lid. Cover with a tea towel and leave to stand for 15-20 minutes before serving.
5. Chop a little fresh coriander and lightly toast a few almonds.
TipAny chopped nuts would be a fantastic garnish. For a creamier addition try cashew or walnuts.
• 250g basmati rice
• 1 large onion, finely sliced
• 2 garlic cloves, sliced
• 2 tbsp oil
• 6 skinned, boned chicken thighs, cut into thirds
• 2 tbsp medium curry powder
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 1 small cinnamon stick
• 2 bay leaves
• 5 Opies Lemon Slices
• 2 balls of Opies Stem Ginger in Syrup, finely chopped
• 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
• 700ml chicken stock
• Small bunch of fresh coriander
• Handful of toasted almonds