Zombie Hand Bread Bowls
Method1. Place the flour, salt, sugar and yeast into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the coloured water and olive oil then bring together to form a dough. Tip onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and springy.
2. Place inside a lightly oiled mixing bowl and loosely cover. Leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour until doubled in size.
3. Once the dough is ready, knock it back by punching out the air. Tip onto a work surface and knead it again for a couple of minutes.
4. Divide and shape the dough into four rolls. Hold each in the palm of your hand and squeeze around the edges with your fingers to make five indentations for the zombie fingers.
5. Place on a lined baking tray spaced apart, and cover with a tea towel/cling film to rise again for a further 30 minutes. Meanwhile pre-heat your oven to 200°C /fan 180°C / gas 6.
6. Once the balls have doubled in size, place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden then leave to cool completely.
7. Meanwhile mix the three cheeses together in a bowl, reserving 2 tbsp for later. Slice off the rolls’ tops and hollow out the insides to form a bowl. Fill generously with the cheese and place into the oven for 15 minutes until golden and bubbling. Remove and leave to cool.
8. Spread some of the melty cheese onto the indentations around the bowl, like a glue, then press the gherkins upright into the glue to make fingers (alternatively you could use toothpick halves to push them into place, but remember to remove these before giving to children).
9. Prepare the ‘zombie eyes’ by pushing Opies Cocktail Onions inside the black olive halves and place onto the melted cheese so they sit on top. Serve with crudités, breadsticks and crackers for dipping.
• 4 round crusty bread rolls
If making by hand:
• 250g strong bread flour
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 5g caster sugar
• 5g fast action dried yeast
• 120ml warm water plus a couple of drops of green food colouring
• 30ml olive oil
For the cheese dip:
• 150g cream cheese
• 50g Red Leicester, grated
• 50g mozzarella, grated
• 10 Opies Cocktail Gherkins (plus extra for dipping)
• 4 black olives, halved
• 4 Opies Cocktail Onions
• Assortment of crudités, breadsticks and crackers for dipping