Method1. Preheat your oven to 200ºC. Prepare the beetroot by drizzling each with some olive oil, sprinkling over a pinch of salt and wrapping each in tin foil. Place into a roasting tray and roast for 50 minutes. Check they are cooked by poking a knife into them, it should easily pierce but still feel tender. Cook for 10 more minutes if needed.
2. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Remove the skins by sliding them off with your fingers then chop into 1cm cubes.
3. Add to a blender along with the remaining olive oil, tahini, cumin, salt, garlic and lemon juice and blitz until smooth. Adjust the seasoning as needed.
4. Empty into a large bowl and sprinkle over the spring onions, nigella seeds and chopped parsley. Serve on a platter with fresh crudités and Opies Cocktail Gherkins for dipping.
• 3-4 large fresh beetroot, skin on and cleaned
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 140g quality tahini
• 1/2 tsp cumin
• Pinch of salt
• 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
• Juice of ½ lemon
• 1 spring onion, sliced
• 1 tsp nigella seeds
• Small bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
• Crackers (we love Peter’s Yard)
• Mixed crudités
• ½ jar Opies Cocktail Gherkins, drained