Method1. Beat the egg yolks and sugar together in a pan over a gentle heat then gradually add the milk, whisking continuously to prevent any lumps. Remove from the heat once very thick then cover and chill until cold.
2. Meanwhile, line a dish with sponge fingers then evenly pour over the coffee and 3 tablespoons reserved rum syrup from the jar. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl beat the mascarpone until thick, then add to the chilled egg mixture until combined. Spread half over the sponge fingers until just covered.
4. Next beat the cream and vanilla together until stiff. Lay all the pineapple rings on top of the custard then top with half the whipped cream. Repeat the custard and cream layers. Lightly dust the top with cocoa powder then chill for 4-6 hours until firm.
• 6 egg yolks
• 150g sugar
• 150ml milk
• 200g sponge fingers
• 100ml espresso or strong coffee
• 1 jar Opies Pineapple with Spiced Rum, syrup reserved
• 300g double cream
• ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
• 450g mascarpone
• 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, for dusting