Method1. Drain the peaches and sit them on kitchen towel cut side down for 10 minutes to soak up any residual juice.
2. Pulse the flour, sugar, polenta, salt, butter and mixed spice in a food processor until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add 1 egg, mixing again until a dough forms. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / gas 4. Sprinkle a surface with icing sugar, roll the dough into a circle the thickness of a pound coin and around 14” in diameter. Transfer to a lined baking tray. Spread the marmalade over the surface then place the peach halves cut side down inside the circle, leaving a 2” border. Fold the edges of the pastry to overlap and encase the outer peaches.
4. Beat the remaining egg and brush onto the pastry edges before sprinkling with the demerara or smoked sugar.
5. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until golden. Leave to cool before serving with ice cream.
• 220g plain flour
• 65g soft light brown sugar
• 60g coarse polenta (semolina)
• Pinch of salt
• 110g cold, unsalted butter, diced
• 1 tsp mixed spice
• 2 eggs
• Icing sugar, for dusting
• 1 tbsp demerara sugar, for sprinkling (smoked sugar is great if you can find it)
• 3 tbsp orange marmalade
• 1 jar Opies Peaches with Courvoisier
• Ice cream, to serve