Method1. Place the gammon in a large pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and leave for 2½ hours, topping up with water if needed.
2. Drain the ham and leave to cool. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160° fan / gas 4 then warm the glaze ingredients in a pan over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Turn the heat up and reduce the liquid down until thick and syrupy.
3. Carefully remove the skin from the ham, leaving a layer of fat, then score a diamond pattern into the top. Place in the oven and roast for 20 minutes, then remove and pour over the glaze.
4. Increase the temperature to 200°C / 180°C fan / gas 5 and pour over the glaze. Roast for a further 15 minutes until the glaze is dark, sticky and caramelised.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to rest before carving.
• 2kg gammon joint
For the glaze:
• 160ml syrup from Opies Black Cherries with Kirsch, 1 tbsp of cherries reserved
• 160g orange marmalade
• 120g brown sugar
• 60ml orange juice
• 1 tsp allspice
• 1 tsp ground cloves