Method1. Halve the onion, dice one half into small pieces, leaving the other half for later.
2. Place the beef, diced onion and egg into a bowl and mix together.
3. Divide the mixture equally into four and roll into balls. Once rolled, slightly flatten each one until they’re roughly 3cm thick. Try to make all burgers the same thickness to ensure even cooking times.
4. Place in the fridge to cool for approximately 30 minutes to allow each burger to firm.
5. Cut the other half of the onion into onion rings to add onto your burger for topping.
6. Heat the barbecue, grill or pan and coat a small amount of oil to each burger.
7. Place the burgers on the heat and cook for 5 minutes until the meat has started to brown. Flip the burger over and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
8. Once cooked, start to construct the burger. Add the lettuce to the bottom burger bun, followed by the burger. Then customise your burger by adding cheese, tomatoes, onions and of course the cocktail gherkins for that extra crunch.