Method1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / fan 160°C / gas 4.
2. Cut each slice of buttered bread into small triangles and place half of them in a 1 litre buttered oven dish, so they overlap each other.
3. Sprinkle with half the sugar then add half the ginger and dried fruit (if using). Top with the remaining bread, butter side up, then the remaining sugar and ginger.
4. Beat the eggs, milk and 2 tbsp reserved ginger syrup together and pour evenly over the bread.
5. Allow to stand for 30 minutes so the liquid is absorbed, then bake for 45 minutes or until set and golden on top.
6. Serve with custard or fresh cream.
TipThis is a great way to use up leftover bread.
• 6 thin slices of day-old buttered white bread, crusts removed
• 25g caster sugar
• A handful of dried fruit (optional)
• 50g Opies Stem Ginger in Syrup, finely chopped, syrup reserved
• 600ml milk
• 2 eggs
• Custard or fresh cream, to serve