Method1. To make the pudding, grease a 2-litre pudding bowl and line the base with a circle of baking paper. Next, grease a large sheet of baking paper and lay on top of a large sheet of foil, margarine side up.
2. Roughly chop 125g of figs and set aside. Place the remaining figs, margarine and 75ml of the reserved rum syrup into a food processor and whizz until smooth.
3. Spoon the mixture into a large bowl, then add the chopped figs together with the remaining pudding ingredients and mix thoroughly.
4. Tip the mixture into the pudding bowl, cover with the buttered paper-foil sheet, then tie with string.
5. Place the basin in a large saucepan, with a piece of scrunched-up foil at the bottom (to prevent the basin touching the pan base). Fill the pan halfway with boiling water. Cover and simmer for 3 hrs, topping up the water as needed.
6. Remove and leave to cool.
To make the sauce
1. Combine the cornflour with 6 tbsp of cold milk until no lumps remain.
2. Heat the remaining milk until almost boiling then add it to the cornflour mixture, stirring continuously.
3. Return to the pan and stir over a moderate heat until thickened. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 1–2 minutes, still stirring. Pour over the pudding and serve.
• 125g margarine, plus extra for greasing
• 1 jar Opies Figs with Luxardo® Dark Rum, syrup reserved
• 2 balls of Opies Stem Ginger In Syrup, chopped and syrup reserved (for the sauce)
• 350g dried mixed fruit
• 1 large eating apple, peeled, cored and grated
• 85g light brown soft sugar
• 85g dark brown soft Sugar
• 100g breadcrumbs
• 100g self-raising flour
For the Hot Rum & Ginger Sauce
• 6 tbsp cornflour
• 850ml milk
• 3 tbsp caster sugar, or to taste
• 3 tbsp reserved ginger syrup (from the jar of Opies Stem Ginger in Syrup)
• 3 tbsp reserved rum syrup (from the jar of Opies Figs with Luxardo Dark Rum)