Method1. Beat the double cream until soft peaks form, being careful not to overdo it. Add the condensed milk and vanilla extract, whipping again until combined, rich and thickened then fold in the cherries. Place into a tub then cover and freeze whilst you prepare the cake base.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C / 180ºC Fan / Gas 6. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
3. Melt the butter with the chocolate and a pinch of salt over a low heat until fully melted and smooth. Allow to cool then beat in the egg. Next add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly to remove any lumps.
4. Pour onto the lined baking tray, place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Leave to cool until completely cold then remove from the tray and peel back the parchment paper. Trim the edges with a knife and cut into two.
5. Remove the ice cream from the freezer and allow to soften slightly. Using a palette knife spread the ice cream over one half of the cake sponge, spreading all the way to the edges. Place the second sponge on top, wrap tightly in cling film and freeze overnight.
6. When ready to eat, use a sharp knife and cut into 8 wedges. Serve straight away!
• 500ml double cream
• 397g condensed milk
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 jar Opies Black Cherries with Kirsch
• 60g butter
• 120g chocolate, broken into pieces
• Pinch of salt flakes
• 1 egg
• 130g plain flour
• ¼ tsp baking powder
• 200g soft brown sugar
• 50g granulated sugar