Method1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / fan 160°C / gas 6.
2. Grease and line the sides and base of a 23cm cake tin with parchment paper.
3. Beat the butter until very soft but not melted.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until trebled in volume and pale and thick.
5. Fold in the flour, cocoa powder and vanilla then add the butter.
6. Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and smooth the top.
7. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and the cake is well risen. Remove from the oven.
8. Once cool turn out onto a wire tray and remove the parchment paper. Halve the cake horizontally through the middle and drizzle the bottom sponge layer with 4-6 tbsp of reserved cherry juice from the Opies Cherries in Kirsch jar.
9. Fold half the cherries into the cream then spread over the base layer of the cake. Place the other cake half on top and drizzle 3 tbsp of cherry juice over the top of the cake.
10. Spread the remaining cream and cherries on the top layer of the cake and sprinkle with grated chocolate. Chill the cake for 1 hour before serving and serve with a small jug of the remaining cherry juice.
TipDelicious served with cream or ice cream.
100g butter, softened
6 medium eggs, beaten
225g caster sugar
75g plain flour, sifted
50g cocoa powder, sifted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 jar Opies Cherries in Kirsch, cherry juice reserved
500ml double cream, lightly whipped
Grated chocolate, to decorate