Method1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C / 180°C fan / gas 5 then line a large baking tray (around 40cm x 25cm) with baking parchment.
2. Lay a sheet of filo pastry flat onto the baking parchment, then brush with the butter. Lay another sheet on top, facing the opposite direction and brush again with butter. Repeat the layers until all filo pastry is used up, overlapping the sides so the filo layers fill the tray before generously basting the whole roll with butter.
3. Drain the apricot halves, reserve the syrup then finely slice the apricots. Add to a bowl and mix in the cornflour. Spread out the apricots horizontally along the middle of the filo pastry, leaving a gap at either end. Drizzle over 1-2 tsp of rum syrup.
4. Take one long edge of the filo pastry and fold it over to encase the apricots. Flip the pastry over to create a roll, so the edge is tucked underneath. Fold the edges underneath the pastry roll then brush with any remaining butter and sprinkle over the flaked almonds and poppy seeds, if using. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden, then leave to cool slightly.
5. Sift the icing sugar in a small bowl then add a tablespoon of the reserved rum syrup and mixed spice. Mix well then drizzle over the strudel before serving sliced with custard or ice cream.
• 6 sheets filo pastry
• 60g melted butter
• 1 jar Opies Apricots with Luxardo® Dark Rum
• 1 tsp cornflour
• 60g icing sugar
• A pinch cinnamon
• 2 tbsp flaked almonds, optional
• 1 tsp poppy seeds, optional
• Ice cream or custard, to serve