Method1. Blitz the flour, butter and salt in a food processor until breadcrumbs form. Add the eggs and mix again until the dough comes together. Tip out onto a floured surface and briefly knead until solid. Wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
2. Set a third of the dough aside for the lid. Roll out the remaining dough to the thickness of a pound coin. Grease a 20cmx30cm ovenproof dish with butter then line with the pastry. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Meanwhile roll out the remaining pastry. Drain the gherkins and onions and roughly chop the gherkins into threes.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C / 180°C fan /gas mark 4. Mix the ricotta, pecorino, mozzarella, salami, prosciutto, gherkins and onions together followed by the egg (reserving a tablespoon or so), parsley and pepper. Pour the egg mixture into the chilled pastry dish then place the pie lid on top and seal by crimping the edges. Glaze the pie with the reserved egg and pierce the pie middle before baking in the oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Delicious enjoyed hot or cold!
For the pastry
• 450g of flour, plus extra
• 225g of butter, chilled and cubed, plus an extra knob for greasing the pie dish
• 3 eggs
• 2 pinches of salt
• 60ml of whole milk (you may not need it all)
For the filling:
• 250g ricotta
• 60g pecorino, grated
• 150g mozzarella, roughly diced
• 150g salami, roughly chopped
• 60g of prosciutto, roughly chopped
• 1 jar Opies Mini Gherkins
• 1 jar Opies Mini Silverskin Onions
• 9 eggs, beaten
• 1 handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
• Pepper, to taste