Method1. Take a large oven dish that will fit 6 hot cross buns comfortably and arrange the sliced hot cross buns in the dish.
2. In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, whipping cream, milk, vanilla extract, caster sugar and 2 tablespoons of the reserved stem ginger syrup. Pour the batter evenly over the hot cross buns. Scatter over the finely chopped stem ginger, cover and leave in the fridge for a couple of hours to allow the hot cross buns to absorb the mixture. You could also leave it overnight. Pre-heat the oven to 190°C / 170°C fan / Gas 3.
3. Drizzle over half of the caramel sauce and cook in the oven for about 30-35 minutes, until the custard is set but still retaining a slight wobble.
4. Leave to cool slightly before serving with fresh custard and a little drizzle of caramel sauce, if you have some leftover.
• 6 hot cross buns, sliced into 4
• 3 large eggs
• 300ml whipping cream
• 300ml milk
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 75g golden caster sugar
• 3 balls of Opies Stem Ginger with Syrup, finely chopped, syrup reserved
• 3 tbsp Carnation caramel sauce
• Fresh warm custard
• Some of the leftover caramel sauce