Method1. Place the butternut squash in a roasting tray with a drizzle of oil and a generous seasoning. Roast in the oven at 190c for 40 minutes, until soft.
2. Heat the oil in a pan, and sweat the onion, celery and carrot until just starting to caramelise. Add the mushrooms and fry for 4-5 minutes, then add the garlic, herbs, spices and seasoning and fry until fragrant.
3. Remove the squash from the oven and mash into a fine puree. Stir through the mushroom mixture, flour, miso paste and dried cranberries until fully combined. Shape the mixture into a log on a piece of greaseproof paper.
4. Pulse your chestnuts and pickled walnuts together in a food processor until finely chopped. Set aside.
5. Roll out the puff pastry into a rectangle, approx 60cm x 40cm and 3cm thick.
6. On the right third of the rectangle, brush the pastry with a generous layer of cranberry sauce, leaving about 1cm of pastry free around it. Top with a third of your chestnut and walnut mixture, and then place the squash log on top. Brush the log all over with a layer of cranberry sauce, and then a layer of the remaining nut mixture. Fold the pastry over the log to encase it all, and push down the edges to enclose so nothing leaks out when cooking. Cut off the excess and set aside for decoration (optional).
7. Decorate with the excess pastry if you like, then mix the milk and maple syrup together and brush all over.
8. Place onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake for 40 minutes, or until golden.
• 1 small butternut squash, skin on and diced
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 1 carrot, finely chopped
• 1 stick celery, finely chopped
• 250g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• Handful of rosemary, finely chopped
• Handful of thyme, finely chopped
• Pinch of cinnamon, all spice, paprika and ground nutmeg
• 100g dried cranberries, finely diced
• 60g chickpea flour
• 1 tbsp miso paste
• 150g vacuum-packed chestnuts
• 150g Opies Pickled Walnuts, drained
• 100g cranberry sauce
• 500g puff pastry
• 60ml plant-based milk
• 25ml maple syrup