Method1. Preheat the oven to 200°C / 180°C Fan / Gas 6.
2. Drain black beans, and spread onto a baking sheet. Bake for ten minutes until dry.
3. Meanwhile, slice one half of the onion into rounds and add to a bowl with gherkin brine. Mix and set aside. Finely chop the other onion half, red pepper and the garlic and add to a pan with 1 tablespoon of oil, saute on a low heat until soft. Add the garlic, continue cooking until fragrant then take off the heat.
4. Place the onion mixture into a mixer along with the beans, egg, cumin, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, breadcrumbs and seasoning. Pulse so you have a mixture that holds together but still has a little bit of texture. Shape into four burger patties and place into the fridge to chill for 1 hour.
5. Meanwhile prepare the sweet potato fries. Cut the sweet potatoes into chips, rub in a tablespoon of oil, season and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
6. To make the gherkin relish, place all the relish ingredients in a blender and pulse until chopped but still quite chunky.
7. When the burgers have chilled, place a frying pan on a medium heat with another tablespoon of vegetable oil. Fry the burgers for around 4 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through. Serve in burger buns with lettuce, relish, onion rings and sweet potatoes on the side.
• 2 tins black beans, drained
• 1 onion
• 4 tbsp Opies Mini Gherkins pickle liquor
• ½ red pepper
• 3 garlic cloves, crushed
• 3 tbsps vegetable oil
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp smoked paprika
• 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• 60g breadcrumbs
• Seasoning, to taste
• 1 egg
• 1 jar Opies Mini Gherkins, mixture of halved and whole, pickle liquor reserved
• 1 tsp mustard
• 1 tbsp Opies Mini Gherkins pickle liquor
• ½ tsp turmeric
• 1 tsp sugar
• 100g lettuce
• 500g sweet potatoes, skin on
• 4 burger buns