Apple and Ginger Cake
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C, grease and line a a 20cm round cake tin.
2. Using electric beaters, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the the eggs, one at a time and then add in the syrup. Sift the dry ingredients together, adding a pinch of salt, and fold into the creamed mixture, then fold through the apple and ginger chunks.
3. Tip the mixture into the tin and arrange the sliced apple in concentric circles over the top. Bake for 50mins - 1 hour, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. If the top starts to darken before it is cooked, cover loosely with foil and continue baking. Remove from oven and brush over the remaining syrup. Leave to cool for ten minutes in the tin, then remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
• 200g unsalted butter, softened
• 150g golden caster sugar
• 2 tbsp Opies Stem Ginger in Syrup
• 3 eggs
• 250g self-raising flour
• 1 tbsp ground ginger
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 apple, cored and diced
• 2 Opies Stem Ginger balls, finely chopped
• 1 apple, cored and sliced
• 3 tbsp Opies Stem Ginger Syrup